- One in four girls and one in six boys have been sexually abused.
- Victims of sexual assault are three times more likely to suffer from depression and six times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.
- 85-90% of child sexual abuse cases are committed by trusted family members and close friends.
- The estimated annual cost of child abuse and neglect in the United States for 2008 is $124 billion.
- 60% of rapes/sexual assaults are not reported to the police, according to a statistical average of the past 5 years.
- 14% of all men in prison and 36% of all women in the USA were abused as children.
- 93% of juvenile sexual assault victims know their attacker.
U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics. 2000 Sexual Assault of Young Children as Reported to Law Enforcement. 2000.
Bureau of Justice Statistics. Rape and Sexual Assault: Reporting to Police and Medical Attention. 1992-2000.
Harlow, C. U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs. (1999).Prior abuse reported by inmates and probationers (NCJ 172879) Retrieved from http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/parip.pdf
Fang, X., et al. The economic burden of child maltreatment in the United States and implications for prevention. Child Abuse & Neglect (2012), doi:10.1016/j.chiabu.2011.10.006 Retrieved from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0145213411003140
World Health Organization. 2002